Jan 1, 2014

Christmas 2013

Josh and I had a laid back Christmas Eve this year.  We went out for breakfast, to the movies and I made chili and sour cream cornbread for dinner and also my favorite rum cake for Christmas Day.   After stuffing ourselves all day we went to bed and planned on leaving the next morning for Sacramento to enjoy the day with Josh's Aunt and Uncle, cousins and brothers.
Sadly, sometime in the middle of my slumber I was awoken not the clatter of eight tiny reindeer but by severe stomach cramping which led to hours and hours of no sleep and many trips to the bathroom.  Josh was very supportive so he didn't get much sleep either.  Around 8am I drank a smoothie and we sat snuggled in bed making sure I was on the mend and talked about us, the baby and how life isn't always perfect or easy.  Josh felt this was the perfect segue to continue with his original plan for Christmas morning so he leaned over and came back with a little blue velvet box, opened it up and proposed!  I love that he didn't wait for everything to be "perfect", it speaks volumes to me of how we both view life.  I was also shocked to see the ring!  I love that he went and asked my Mom for the family ring he knew I'd been trying on for the last decade and she got to share in the surprise, it meant so much to me!  I successfully rallied and we made it to Uncle Dave & Aunt Nida's place in plenty of time to enjoy the day.  I got to chat with our cousin Abi who is due with her first just a few weeks after us!  She is half my size so I had to squat down in our picture together so my baby bump wasn't smothering her face, ha!  Growing up, Josh's grandpa met a new grand-baby every year for 9 years (Josh's siblings and cousins are all 1 year apart) and he thought that was exciting... 2014 is going to bring him 2 great grand-babies (potentially more) and 4 weddings!  Abi and Josh's cousin Trevor are engaged, not sure of the wedding date,  Josh's sister Beth and Philip are planning for this summer, Josh and I also unsure of specific plans, and we just found out Christmas Day that his cousin Kirsten and her fiance Zach got engaged earlier in December!  That evening we drove up to Josh's Mom's house and caught up with Jake and Carli who weren't able to make it to Sacramento due to Carli still in recovery from major dental surgery.  Nate and Heather and baby Declan also came over for a few after their long day, this was a 4th stop for them so I was surprised they were still going!  We had a nice breakfast morning with Cheryl & Leon then left to go visit Sally, Azure, baby Eden at Kevin's mom's house for a few and then stopped by Josh's Dad's place as well for a quick visit.  It was a busy 2 days, but I'm always grateful to be part this family, especially when mine are so far away. 
12/25/13 Xmas Morning!
Christmas Day 2013
Cousin-in-Laws and future Mommies!



No comments:

Post a Comment